Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Australia Day 2011


 G'day,
We joined our neighbours for a good ol' Aussie barby today and celebrated living in this great country of ours.  For all that our country dishes up to us we love her anyway.  As Dorothea Mackellar says in her famous poem, "My Country", First Line, second verse - I love a sunburnt country - Last line - Her beauty and her terror - The wide brown land for me!!!


Our back neighbour is a local businessman and he held the barbeque to fund raise for victims of the 'inland tsunami' in our region. Good on ya Jim!! You can see what Jim does here on his website. An unusual business for a somewhat parochial city, but all our friends from South Africa who have come and settled in our fair city love it, and so do a lot of the passing truckies.
 On another slant,  I am working on a simple nine patch scrap quilt for our quilt club fundraiser, so I spent the afternoon in the sewing room. It is going to be very colourful.  I am using 4" squares that someone donated to the club.  Should have been easy, but of course some were a bit shy of 4" and some a bit larger.  Grrr.

It has been a while since I have had a block of time to just sit and sew. Lovely way to finish the Australia day holiday.

1 comment:

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Di and Family, Happy Australia Day, You all look like you are enjoying some happy times on this day.

After all the terror and saddness for the last few weeks with the flooding it is well deserved indeed.

I have always read from the Inspiration Mag. about the lovely stitching retreats they have in Towoomba and always thought it to be a place I would love to see. I hope this lovely town will soon be back on its feet. Love your colorful pretty scrappy quilt. Big Hug to all. Judy