Sunday, October 24, 2010

Time Flies

Time flies when you're having fun.  This month has been quite a fun month around here, starting with the quilt retreat in early October.  I will tell you a bit of what I've been up to since then.
Firstly came a decision to start yet another quilt.  This time it is all about 'stash busting'.  I am now half way through making the top of this quilt, and  there are plenty of scraps still to go.  For as long as I have been quilting I have cut left over bits of fabric into strips.  I love the randomness of this - just picking up any old strips and joining them up where they fit.  It is a lot of fun.
Once I have all the top put together I intend to hand stitch the seams.  Possibly with herringbone stitch.  That should keep me out of mischief!!
Last Thursday a friend and I caught a bus down to Brisbane and went to the Queensland Quilt show.  The quilt I showed you here after our exhibition, Silk purses and crazy bags, by Robyn Ginn, won Best of Show.  You can see all the winners here on the Qld Quilters web site.http://www.qldquilters.com/
I enjoyed looking at the art quilts, but time was limited and I had to do a very quick whizz around the display.  
I loved this quilt by Denise Griffiths called "Waratahs and Wildflowers for Dad". 
 I thought this quilt by Lorraine Carthew was very spectacular.  "Memorable Women".
There were a lot of fantastic quilts on show and it was huge.  We spent a lot of time looking at all the merchant stalls and going to a couple of demos.
A lovely day out.



4 comments:

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

Dianne, I'll try again!! Thank you for sharing the photos from the Qld Quilters' Exhibition. I love Lorraine Carthew's work.

I do love your scrap quilt so far, and feel sure after you work your magic, it shall be another wonderful addition to your beautiful home.

Great news regarding Robyn's quilt. She is a fantastic quilt artist, and fully deserves the success. I have a lot of her drawings/designs, and have admired her work for so long.

Take care.

shirley said...

DI, I just love the new quilt top. I like those random strips and the way they turn out as well. the colours are falling into place as well.

shirley said...

No wonder the other two quilts were popular, the Amazing Women one is indeed a work of art.