Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Book Cover Gift












I made this simple book cover for my sister's upcoming birthday. It has been a work in progress for a while, but as her birthday is just a week or so away, I had to get crackin' and finish it.
Hope she isn't going to finally read my blog now and spoil her surprise.

My sister is one of those very gracious people who always loves anything I hand craft for her, and she always appreciates the time and love that goes into making a special hand made gift.
These book covers are so easy to make, so I might whip up a few for the Toowoomba Quilters exhibition sales table. The exhibition is not until September, so have plenty of time.

My next project is dyeing some old white buttons. Have purchased some tintex dye which is wonderful for this application. Did a test run on some crappy white buttons I had kept for this very reason, and most of them took up the dye in various depths. Of course, the pearly type ones don't respond to the dye, and generally, if they float to the top they ain't gonna dye. I use the microwave (being very careful not to splish sposh the dye all over the place) and place the buttons in a cold dye solution, then give them about 30 seconds to see, then more if they need it. The good thing is you can make up your own colours. The little daisies on the book cover (above) were originally white and I used the rose pink to get the desired colour.


3 comments:

Sue said...

Di, I love the book cover - the buttons really dress it up and its very clever to have died them yourself!

Dianne said...

Thanks Sue, the "buttons" are actually little daisies cut from a lacy daisy chain. Also have had some fun dyeing buttons, they didn't turn out too bad.

Shirley said...

Di,

now I have seen your blog, I understand why it sometimes takes a while to get replies from emails...

now I know why...,.but where to you get the time...After reading this now I know what to do with all the while buttons I have...give them to you so you will have to work out something to throw out!!!shirl